It important to get legal help promptly after being injured in a slip-and-fall accident if you want to seek the compensation you deserve. Injuries in a fall can leave you saddled with bills for medical care, lost income and more. You may also face a great deal of pain and suffering.
At Harker Injury Law in San Diego, we provide one-on-one attention and aggressive legal representation to people who have been hurt in slip-and-fall accidents.
We are protective of our clients because we have seen friends and family members suffer lie-altering injuries in accidents.
You can trust our dedicated personal injury law firm to:
- Maintain a direct line of communication between you and your attorney, not hand you off to an assistant or a paralegal
- Promptly answer your calls and texts, including at night and on weekends
- Manage all aspects of your slip-and-fall claim so you can focus on your health
- Keep track of your doctor appointments so we can check in on how you are feeling
- Contact creditors who may be hounding you for payment related to your accident, and explain that your claim is pending
Harker Injury Law recognizes the financial pressure many of our clients are under during recovery from a serious accident. We do not charge anything upfront to investigate your accident and file a personal injury claim for you. In fact, we won’t charge you a fee unless and until we recover money for you.
We put people ahead of profits. Contact us today for a free discussion about how we can help you.
You Need a Personal Injury Lawyer After Being Injured in a Fall
If you have been injured in a fall on another person’s property — such as at a store, mall, restaurant, office building, bank lobby, condo, apartment complex, park, theater or a private home — you may be eligible for compensation.
In a claim, you might seek compensation for:
- Medical bills, including ER visits, follow-up doctor appointments, medications, etc.
- Lost wages, including payment for vacation days or sick time you have had to take.
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering.
If you have suffered a debilitating injury, you should also be compensated for the cost of any future medical needs or assistance, and for future income loss caused by damage to your ability to work for a living.
In general, property owners have a legal duty to ensure their properties are reasonably safe for visitors. When they cannot promptly remove or mitigate potential hazards, they are to post a warning that would adequately alert a reasonable person.
But the law is ambiguous. Property owners are allowed a “reasonable” amount of time to recognize and deal with a potential hazard. A warning sign must be such that a “reasonable” person would understand it.
Whether the property owner’s negligence contributed to your injury may be open to argument. The property owner, through their insurance company and lawyers, could argue that you were at fault.
Maybe they’ll say you were on your phone when you fell. Perhaps you were paying more attention to your conversation with friends and did not watch where you were walking. Some slip-and-fall hazards are considered “open and obvious,” and the argument against the injured is that they just should have known better than to get themselves hurt.
If your injuries are serious, and therefore expensive, the property owner’s insurer is sure to look for an argument against paying your claim. You need an experienced lawyer to protect your rights.
If you are left to cope with the financial burden of serious injuries suffered in a slip-and-fall accident, you may find yourself quickly overwhelmed — particularly if your insurance claim is denied.
A property owner’s insurer might try to offer you a quick settlement that covers your immediate expenses, but ignores potentially long-term consequences of your accident.
We urge you to not sign anything or accept any money from an insurance company without speaking to our San Diego slip-and-fall accident attorney about how much your claim may really be worth. Meet with us for a free, no obligation discussion of your case. If you have a settlement offer, give us a chance to review it and see whether you deserve more.
We’ll investigate your accident and assess all costs and losses you face, both now and into the future. This is what’s necessary of you are to demand full and fair compensation for your accident.
Harker Injury Law will fight to make you financially whole again after a slip-and-fall accident.
We’ll work with you to make sure you achieve maximum medical improvement and move forward with your life without any accident-related debt. If your fall has left you with a permanent disability, we will fight for the financial compensation you need to support yourself and your family into the future.
Protect Yourself After a Slip-and-Fall Accident
There are several things a property owner can do after someone like you has been injured in a fall on their premises to avoid paying a claim. Fixing the bad flooring, pothole, torn carpet, or whatever caused your fall, and denying there was ever a problem is an obvious move.
You can protect yourself by acting quickly, too. If you contact Harker Injury Law promptly after a fall, we can begin to gather evidence that could prove crucial to your claim.
There may be video of your accident, given the prevalence of surveillance cameras in public places today. However, video is recorded over regularly, and perhaps intentionally in some cases. With quick action by you to contact us, we can move promptly to identify evidence, such as video, and have it preserved as part of a potential legal claim.
If you have been injured in a fall and haven’t already, you should:
- Seek full medical care. Sometimes we speak with fall victims who have been to a doctor once and have shrugged off additional treatment. This is a mistake. Some injuries cause problems later that can be headed off with proper care. You should follow all doctor’s orders for the sake of obtaining appropriate care and to establish the true extent of your injuries. If you have not yet been to a doctor after a fall, see a doctor ASAP. This documents your injuries for a claim.
- Report your accident. Find out who is the owner, manager, or other responsible person where you fell, and let them know you were injured on their property and want to file a formal report. If you are allowed to file a report, request a copy. If you are not, get an email or postal address and send a description of what happened to you, when it happened, and what caused your accident. Save a copy. This documents the accident.
- Get witnesses on the record. If you were with someone when you fell, or someone has helped you since you were hurt, get a statement from them about your accident, injury, pain and suffering, etc. Get them to write it down or record audio, along with contact information for them. Even for close friends or family, do this promptly while memories are fresh and they are available to help you. This documents your accident, and your pain and suffering.
- Start an accident file. You want to save everything connected to your slip-and-fall accident and injuries. Save records and receipts from your medical treatment and other costs, time out of work, and any personal property damaged in the fall, such as clothing, jewelry, phone, camera, etc. Take photos of your injuries and any bandages, sling, cast, neck brace, etc. Make notes about any changes in your life caused by your fall and injury, such as activities you can’t take part in any longer, special occasions you have missed, etc. This documents your costs and losses, including your pain and suffering.
In the meantime, don’t publicize the fact that you may have a slip-and-fall claim to pursue. Stay away from social media. Don’t talk about the property owner or business where you fell, or make negative statements about anyone else involved in your case. Beyond immediate family members, discuss your fall and injuries only with your attorneys and your doctors.
If you have not spoken to an experienced personal injury lawyer about your accident, contact Harker Injury Law today. The initial consultation is absolutely free, and any work we do on a claim for you is without charge unless and until we obtain a settlement or court award for you.
We can settle most claims appropriately through our aggressive negotiations, and avoid the inconvenience of a jury trial. However, our team always prepares a case as if it is headed to a courtroom. In addition to strengthening our negotiations, having a solid case shows the insurance company we are ready to fight them in court if they won’t do the right thing.
Schedule your free consultation today to discuss the details of your slip-and-fall accident, and let our knowledgeable San Diego personal injury lawyer begin building a case for obtaining compensation for you.
Our Compassionate Fall Accident Attorney Is Ready to Help Today
After suffering serious injury from a slip- or trip-and-fall accident, you will need a personal injury attorney who understands what you are going through and has the resources to stand up to businesses and other property owners who would deny your needs.
At Harker Injury Law, our team has extensive experience and a successful track record of winning full and fair compensation for seriously injured clients in Southern California. We’d love to add a successful claim for you to that record.
We are driven by compassion and become personally vested in every accident case we handle. Whether you have been injured in a fall that occurred in San Diego, El Cajon, Escondido, Riverside, or a nearby community, Harker Injury Law is here to help. Set up a free legal consultation today to talk about how we’ll protect your right to compensation for your slip-and-fall accident.